[Scribus] I'm looking for a Portable Document Format (not PDF)

Craig Ringer craig
Wed Feb 16 17:56:06 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 07:06 -0600, Steve Herrick wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:04:04 -0600, Frank Cox
> <melville.theatre at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:24:04 +0000, Nik <scribus at babel.homelinux.net> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a format that fits the
> > > requirements I've described, or could be made to?
> >
> > OpenOffice?  It has a fully-documented format and is cross-platform already.
>
> This is what I was going to say. It's XML-based, and well-documented.

True. I don't think it really qualifies as a particularly good format
for document transport and viewing though, at least not for DTP
documents. As far as I know it's just not made for precision layout and
control, and lacks *many* of the features needed by DTP apps from their
final output formats.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, of course.

> Also, I've been talking to Phil Hughes, and he has someone who wants
> to write an OOo reader for Mozilla. I reflected on that thought for a
> while, and the more I did, the more amazed I was at the implications
> and possibilities.

That would be *extremely* cool.

--
Craig Ringer