[Scribus] new version won't run-SuSE 9.0

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Feb 10 08:36:30 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:00 -0800, Kinene Barzin wrote:
> I am runningScribus with SuSE 9.0 on an aged IBM Thinkpad 600E.  I downloaded
> the rpm of 1.2.1 for 9.0 yesterday.  After running Yast to load the program,
> and adding a number of libraries from my program disks, I tried to run
> Scribus.  It attempts to start and shows the splash screen, but then
> apparently crashes.
>
> When I try to start the program from a shell, I get this error:
> ./scribus: relocation error: /usr/lib/scribus/plugins/
> libscriptplugin.so.0.0.0: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_SetDefaultEncoding

That's a Python/C API call. At a guess, I'd say your installed version
of Python is dfferent to the one Scribus was built against - either
configured differently or of a different version. Alternately, if you
have multiple copies of the same minor version (eg 2.3 or 2.4) or Python
installed, it may be linking to the wrong one. This isn't too likely
unless you've compiled Python yourself.

I don't see SuSE 9.0 RPMs - only SuSe 9.1 RPMs - of 1.2.1 on the main
download site, but I've shown evidence of being totally blind before. If
you're trying to get the SuSE 9.1 RPM to work on SuSE 9.0, it might
work, but the chances are you'll have to upgrade various packages to the
SuSE 9.1 versions - and risk breaking other software on your machine. It
may be easier to compile from source in the end.

--
Craig Ringer