[Scribus] Fw: [Scribus 0000015]: Windows Port

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Feb 7 21:23:37 CET 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 20:27, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:57:39 +0800
> Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Additionally, it's very important to realise this is for Qt4 and Qt4
> > only. Scribus is *nowhere* *near* being compatible with Qt4. My
> > personal understanding is that it's on the roadmap "somewhere after
> > 1.4" but I'm sure one of the friendly devs can answer that properly.
> >
> > The changes between Qt3 and Qt4 are big and invasive. It's a
> > non-trivial port.
> >
> > In other words, patience is probably going to be required unless you
> > feel like taking a lot of work upon yourself...
>
> Hi Craig R.,
> to avoid any misunderstandings: I'm not interested in a Windows port at
> all. More over, I would consider it a terrible waste of time and
> ressorces, if one of the core devs  started to work on such a port now.
> What I was thinking of, was, that if anyone on the list should be
> interested in diving in and starting looking into this issue, there is
> at least from now on a clear perspective for distributing this port
> legally, once it is done.

Well, we already have the knowledge. There was a 1.1.6 ported to Windows,
mostly working apparently. Maybe in our 1.5.x series you might see a Qt4
version, right now though, with Qt4 a long way off, we have to concentrate on
Qt3 and what it can give us, and slowly move to Qt4 compatibility. Some of
this is NOT easy. Qt3 provides some of the Qt4 stuff and not necessarily all
so preparing for an easy switch to Qt4 wont be possible. Will do what we can
in the time we have with the people we have.

Craig