[Scribus] [Fwd: Re: Either I don't understand Master Pages or they justdon't work!]

Calum Polwart scribus
Fri Dec 9 13:42:25 CET 2005

Craig Bradney wrote:

>On Thursday 08 December 2005 15:45, Calum Polwart wrote:
>

>No need to select the content, just the page.

Well I thought I tried that and it produced blank Master's. But maybe
they were also displaced?

>>Plus (and I've never got this to work..) if I have several master pages
>>- it just doesn't cope... Master Page 1,2,3 can all end up on Master Page 1
>>

>Please explain some more...

This first happened to me back on 1.23 - I don't know why and I don't
know if its how I create my master page but here's a quick explanataion
[I've never reported it as a bug as I don't know if it is a bug or just
something I'm doing wrong].  Lets assume I have two master pages (Page L
and Page R) Page L is layed out with the same header as R, but the
footer is mirrored so that the page number is on the Left on L and Right
on R. (fairly standard)  This is what they should look like:

    L         R
+--------++--------+
|======# ||======# |
|        ||        |
|        ||        |
|        ||        |
|*       ||       *|
+--------++--------+

The headers need to be possitioned in line with each other etc - so I
would create page L set it up as a master and then copy the objects out
and possiiton them on page R at the same possition.
(The objects are two lines (above and below article title) with a
graphic on the right, and the page number at the bottom in white text on
top of a black SVG graphic - and grouped.  It HAS to be copied from one
to the next to standand any hope of getting the possitioning, scale and
size right.

When I save the document and re-open it the objects on master page L are
sitting ontop of Master Page R??  Does that make sense...  However -
I've just tried to find a scribus document with the problem and I
can't!  I was certain I'd be able to if I used 1.23 but I've installed
the cvs over the top ;-) If it happens again I'll post a link to a document

Another thing - and this seems to be sepearte issue if we have an
article running from Page L to Page R we would prefer the header to run
across the page.

    L         R
+--------++--------+
|================# |
|        ||        |
|        ||        |
|        ||        |
|*       ||       *|
+--------++--------+

Which works beautifully (actually I can't believe it works so well!) but
how should we be setting up the master for that?  It seems we can set up
L with the lines and logo

(============#) all based on L and then they kind of drop onto R when we
deploy a blank R (actually it will be R with a page num on it) - but is
this the right way to do it or am I likely to break something doing it
this way and should do =======||========# with the lines going right up
to the margins.

>>On the other hand I had been having problems with templates ever since i
>>started with scribus but that might just be working normally...
>>
>>Is this because these are developments or is something broken on my box
>>again!
>>

>Current 1.3.2cvs is bleeding edge, in the past few weeks, about as close to
>the blade as you can be... We can only make progress and have any chance of
>moving forward with some major changes inside Scribus. So, track CVS if you
>will, make your docs with it, **but you must be prepared to roll with the
>punches**. I must say, my last magazine was done with 1.3.2cvs and all went
>fine.

Completely respect what you are saying - if you want something stable
use 1.23 if you want to play with new features then do so at risk and
expect things to break form time to time... fine.  I have very little
experience of using CVS for things... ...if I do the tracking (I assume
that means it fetches a new CVS each night) do I need to recompile it
every time?  The compile porcess takes about 2 1/2 hours on my machine!

Calum