[Scribus] Brother 5170ND laserprinter - worth the money?

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder
Sat Aug 13 18:31:08 CEST 2005

I have a hardware question:

I have a Brother 5140 laserprinter at home that works quite OK with CUPS and
ghostscript-esp on Linux. However the Windows GUI for the printer driver as
much better on windows and offers more functions, e.g. printing n pages per
paper and such.

Now I wonder whether it's worth the money to replace the printer with the
higher modell 5170DN - with duplex funtion and print server (both very
usefull here for my everyday work for the university) and exspecially:
PostScript Level 3 support (instead of only PCL6 emu. of my current printer).

My idea is that I can drop ghostscript-eps in favor of *-apfl with a plain
postscript printer, use the .ppd of the printer and access all the functions
it offers (e.g. duplex under Linux, too). Now I would be glad if somebody
could tell me whether this ideas are right and whether there are good or bad
experiences with this printer.

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian