[Scribus] Scribus issues

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger
Thu Aug 11 18:43:47 CEST 2005

One way to pay for Free software is with problem reports and creative
feature requests, so here goes (If you're not aware of any of these let
me know and I'll spend the time to get them reproducible and make a
decent bug report)

Okay, I'm running 1.3.1cvs of scribus on Debian and I noticed some
things:

1) Mouse text selection doesn't work right. I can't select characters up
to the end of a single line. I have to select down to the next line to
get it to highlight to the end of the previous line.
2) I can't get import of any SVG file from Inkscape to work. No error
messages. Sometimes I get a pointer with an icon attached to it (I guess
this is what I want) but often I get a pointer with a "can't put it
here" icon. In *both* cases no matter where I click the icon goes away
and nothing happens
3) Inline image paste issues
	a) After you paste nothing appears on the screen. I have to
		click the mouse back where I pasted and then it paints
	b) Quite often where I put the caret (and click) then paste what
		I'm pasting into a text box turns up somewhere
		completely different. I can't give a better description
		than that just yet, I haven't looked hard enough.
	c) Can I move the baseline of pasted object up or down at all?
4) I had a circumstance where I resized a text box (smaller) and the
text within it shrank! The style applied to the text hadn't changed
according to the text editor. But I reapplied the style that I wanted
there hit the green checkmark and it was corrected. It wasn't just an
on-screen issue... when I made a PDF of it, it also had smaller text.

General usability issues:

5) Page up, page down, end and other movement keys don't really work in
a natural way when you're in editing inside a text box. In particular
with linked text boxes, I would expect the cursor movement keys to
travel between linked text boxes.
6) Horizontal rules above and below should be allowed as a paragraph
style property. As it is I had to paste an inline image to get an
approximation of the effect that I wanted (horizontal lines separating
sections of an article).
7) Once an inline image object is pasted it would be really good if it
was still editable.
8) It appears there are no bulleted lists or numbered lists... ack. I
could deal with it though if Scribus had a hanging indent tab like Quark
does. I want something like this:

*	weifjoiwjef
	wejfiwejf

But that's really hard to get without a hanging indent tab unless I do
line breaks manually (which I refuse to do).
9) If there's a way to change the current paragraph style when not in
the text editor mode, I haven't been able to discover it.

Hope this helps.

-- John.