[Scribus] Re: Can't get colour management working

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Apr 22 05:15:10 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 10:00 -0700, Steve deRosier wrote:

> My sugestion, since we can't include the profiles due to license
> issues.  If cms is enabled (ie support is compiled in) don't disable
> the menu item.  If it can't find the profiles, when the user clicks on
> it give a message box (sample text, don't nit-pick please):
> ! "Can't find profiles.  To enable CMS support, please install icc
> profiles in /usr/local/scribus/profiles.  Please see the wiki for
> further instructions."

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1879
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1534

Note that the 1.2.2cvs bug is 'resolved,fixed'. A few improvements to
the text might be necessary, such as a pointer to the right part of the
documentation, but it should be considerably easier to tell what's going
on than it was.

No changes are in 1.3cvs yet, as that'll be done a bit differently
(especially in the PDF/X-3 tab of the PDF export dialog).

> If CMS support isn't complied in, don't even show the menu item (maybe
> it does that...I always enable it).

I disagree. That evidently causes people a lot of problems (that is the
current behaviour), given the number of people who post here saying they
can't enable colour management - when they've compiled Scribus without
support for it.

Providing the menu item and having it display an info dialog lets us put
an explanation in place where the user will see it even if they don't
read FAQs, list archives, or documentation :-P . It also helps reduce
confusion for users who try to follow instructions/tutorials that assume
Scribus is configured for colour management.

> Even better, we might want to construct our own profiles that we can
> ship (easier said then done?)

Much.

> and automatically install so that things just work.

If the user doesn't have *appropriate* profiles for *their* input and
output devices, they probably won't gain all that much from the colour
management support anyway, and might even get undesirable results.

--
Craig Ringer