[Scribus] Colour management...

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Fri Apr 22 01:09:00 CEST 2005

You are right, Greg! :) Somehow or other I am fixated on color management.
But it is because of the benefits and the quality it generates (as mentioned
in the docs). Moreover, I also read some of the Photoshop CS 8's help on
color/device profiles earlier. AFAIK, Gimp doesn't currently support CMYK
(though I am positive development work is going on to incorporate CMYK
support in future releases) and, since I like Linux, I was in search of some
open-source DTP package that does fill the bill - and that's what Scribus
has achieved - by combining Gimp and Scribus one can, at least, try to come
up with super presentation quality publications. I am 100% keen on using
Scribus as the publication tool of my choice because I scanned the whole
documentation - and there are so many features that one can't wait and start
using the fantastic piece of software right away.

I have this chronically acute problem that I first try to do things that
seem difficult to do (you can always do the easy stuff, anyway) - out of
curiosity, learning thirst, bragging to my friends of my printed stuff's
quality, or just for the fun of it - whatever you call it. The reason my
frustration showed through is that I just got out of job and, coincidently,
I downloaded Scribus from the Internet right after my job-quit. Now, I want
to brush-up my resume and, that too, in Scribus - learning color management
and pre-press stuff at the same time - yes, that's the problem :) I want to
learn how to use color management with super perfect precision. The only
reason I want to use Scribus is its superb "pre-press" support (as they call
it). Otherwise, you have lots of wordprocessors (OpenOffice, KWord, etc)
that can do the job in less time without the color management hassle.

Besides, in my city, very few people have a thorough understanding of Color
theory (RGB-CYMK Cube, sRGB, Gamut, temperature). I also read the excellent
online book "Grokking the Gimp" which has an excellent Color theory section.
I want to correlate the knowledge I gained earlier from "Grokking the Gimp"
to the Color Management capabilities of Scribus, just for the learning and
fun - and possibly work reasons if I manage to learn it fast. In addition, I
am also trying to learn latex (a typesetting tool in *NIX) stuff and
researching mathematical/physics/chemistry software so that I can compose
super-presentation quality Chemistry/Physics publications. There are so many
reasons. Lastly, I am a small-time not-so-well-off guy and don't have a
printer at my home. Everytime I have to run to the nearest
wordprocessing/composing shop and get the stuff printed - that, almost
always, doesn't give me the quality I want.

Thank you for your input.

Asif