[Scribus] Big problem with RGB-image

PLinnell mrdocs
Thu Apr 21 16:50:46 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 16:40, Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> I am a new Scribus user - so, list's expert users, pardon me if I
> utter anything incorrect! AFAIU, if Scribus embeds an ICC profile
> in your document then the printer device correctly
> understands/translates the RGB color to an equivalent CMYK one.

No, if an ICC profile is embedded, Scribus will honor this. Otherwise,
if is untagged. The exception is PDF/X-3, which requires profiles.
> read in the docs that compression is not at all desirable when it
> comes to printing.

"Lossy" compression is. Lossless used in Tiff or PNG is fine.

> Further, I also read in the documentation that
> JPEG is not a very good file format when it comes to printing and
> that TIFF is the most recommended, doesn't compress unnecessarily,
> and that PNG format is good for taking screenshots (if you don't
> scale screenshots - or don't re-sample when scaling the
> screenshots).

> I have also read the caliberating your monitor and
> printer is also very important for good results. Am I wrong when I
> say that having the target printer device's profile is very help? I
> did read something like somewhere in the docs but would anyone on
> the list, please, explain the logic behind it once again (i.e.
> having the target printer's profile)?

Having the printer's profile will give you a better more accurate
preview with color managment enabled and in the case of PDF/X-3
> Best regards
>
> Asif
>
> On 4/21/05, Jan Ulrich Hasecke <janulrich.hasecke at web.de> wrote:
> > Am 21.04.2005 um 14:53 schrieb Samudra Reiher:
> > > Scribus does no image conversion between RGB and CMYK.
> >
> > What does this mean. Will there be an RGB-image inside a
> > CMYK-Print-PDF, when I do not use colormanagement?

No. Absolutely not true. When you select"print" as the destination in
the PDF exporter. It converts all colors to CMYK. It does this very
reliably.

> > Stupid question, but I am not too familiar with print jobs.
> >
> > I 'll send you a url with my jobs via PM.
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> > juh

Peter