[Scribus] gpl

Bart Alberti bart
Mon Apr 18 04:23:03 CEST 2005

I stand by what I said. The US Federal District courts are the first rung;
and a preliminary ruling has no doubt 'in terrorem' (as the lawyers like to
say) effect since nobody wants to be exposed liability. Until the court of
appeals rules (there are eleven circuits + 2 more) or the Supreme Court
opines, there is no real law. There are current cases which have been widely
noticed now pending at this very moment (to be decided by June maybe) which
will determine a lot. The g p l is quite probably generally valid; but it is
the construction put on it by the courts, not its literal language, or what
they, the g p l folks, think it means, that will decide. The German cases
look to support the general concept of the g p l and its application; but
that I think actually had a software application in view --- correct me if I
am mistaken (also, after all, by the way, 'nmap', which is cited, is a
program, most assuredly).

The situation in Europe is unsettled. If the g p l is of 'viral' nature that
may itself run afoul of the law; to the extent attracts the content of
works, it may be invalid and a breach of the anti-trust acts besides and an
unjust appropriation restrained by the equity courts. The shoe, which fits
the g p l as to software, may well be over-extended as to anything else.
Time will tell and our opinions, although well intentioned and informed (as,
hopefully, they will be) remain, as they must, tentative and premature. As
long as everyone is aware of the issues, harm is minimized

Practically, then, where does Scribus get its fonts, if it cannot really
distribute or recommend any with assurance? or hardly any? Does anyone want
to WRITE fonts for Scribus???
Remaining constructive and optimistic,
I am, cordially, your humble servant,
Bart Alberti