[Scribus] software politics

Robin Rowe rower
Tue Apr 5 20:33:44 CEST 2005

Matt,

> I like them all [scribus, cinepaint, and gimp], I use them all. It
> is just an inconvenience to bounce from program to program
> sometimes. Maybe someday we can get a nice unified graphics
> program, but until then, you all do good work, and I
> look forward to the advancements made by each.

You bring up an interesting point. Since you want one unified graphics
program, are you recommending that the Scribus project disband to join GIMP?

> But this "hate" thing [that some people in GIMP detest Robin]
> is unfortunate. It is also something that can often be overcome.

>From the phone # on your web page it appears you live in Florida, that you
may have had some exposure to politics. Did you know that the Democratic and
Republican parties are a fork? The Republican Party was founded by Jefferson
in 1794. In 1829 a group of Jeffersonians -- who didn't like the direction
the faction led by Adams had taken the National Republican Party -- split to
form the Democratic-Republicans. How would you overcome that split? Do you
always prefer a single-party system?

In 1995 a group of UCB students in California founded GIMP. In 1998 the film
industry funded GIMP development to create an alternative program to
Photoshop that would run on UNIX and support deep paint. One of the GIMP
people Hollywood hired as an employee was GIMP's official maintainer. Some
German GNU partisans disapproved of GIMP becoming closely aligned with
Hollywood. In 2000 GIMP repudiated the work the film industry had sponsored
and walked away by forking it into nowhere. It was 2001 when I first heard
about that work. After I reported on it in my column at Linux Journal,
readers asked me to make available the source tarball. I did so in 2002 on
SourceForge. Some GIMP folks have despised me ever since.

Robin