[Scribus] bad trouble: could not print at all.

Plinnell scribusdocs
Wed Sep 8 22:31:32 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 17:19, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Plinnell wrote:
> >On Wednesday 08 September 2004 14:07, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >>I spent two days design a publication, and the draft must be printed
> >>tomorrow. I only have this Laserjet ps level 2 printer in the office, if
> >>I could not print it, I'll have to find another good print shop to do it.
> >>
> >>1) print with postscript level 3 make the printer puzzle. Nothing gets
> >>printed.
> >>2) print with postscript level 2, nothing gets printed, ghostscript
> >>coredumps.
> >>3) print to a ps file at level 2, 0 byte file created, ghostscript
> >>coredumps.
> >>4) print to a ps file at level 3, upload it to
> >>http://createpdf.adobe.com and Adobe give me back a pdf file. Print the
> >>PDF file by acroread5, the printer busy flash LED for one hour and
> >>prompt "low printer memory". (Print job size is 2.4 MB and printer
> >>memory is 24MB.)
> >>5) export the file as 150 dpi raster image file, print the file using
> >>cups lp(1), result is ugly and hard to recognize, all fonts less than
> >>9pt could not read, not clear.
> >>6) export as svg not tried: I don't have good apps to print in that
> >> format. 7) export as PDF file, acroead (both Windows version 6 and Linux
> >> version 5) prompt "error number 122" and half of the pulication objects
> >> are not visible (most notibly, the two charts)
> >>
> >>So there is no way to print it :(
> >>
> >>I don't know why, I am only designing a one page report with two charts
> >>(vector graphics), and scribus takes 10 min to load saved document on my
> >>PIII 800MHz 256 MB memory freeBSD box, and swap memory usage grows very
> >>soon from 0MB to 321MB. Is scribus this CPU hungary?
> >
> >1) How many Chinese fonts are in the doc ?
>
> two chinese fonts and one English font. I am one of the maintainers of
> the Chinese fonts I used :)

Nice. I ask only as I know some CJK fonts are relatively large.

Also, you might try a different driver, perhaps GIMP-print drivers. I think
there are some for PS2 laser jets.

> >2) Have you imported any thing as EPS or PDF ?
>
> Yes. After failed on importing a chart from openoffice as SVG (see
> be an issue? Sorry I am dumb on this.

Could be. I am sending separately, the Scribus file which has your graph as a
native sla file.

> >3) You could try converting all fonts to outlines before attempting to
> > print or the opposite is occuring, the postscript outlines are too
> > complex for the Laser Jet to print.
>
> perhaps my printer is too limited.
>
> >4) The slow loading is unusual. I can comfortably open and export 70-90
> > page docs with my elderly PII 450 on Suse 9.1. I have opened and exported
> > large docs with 150 page plus, which resulted in a 250 Mb PDF.
>
> OOOps:) How comes! I am a new user, my publications so far are pretty
> slow. Perhaps I am just bad luck.

There are two ways of importing EPS into Scribus.

One is to rasterize it, by importing it like a picture. The other is a true
import, which imports vectors as native scribus objects.  This when available
is often preferable.

> >The error number 122 and acro reader issue, I've never ever seen.
>
> Do you think I should now record how to produce this issue and file a
> bug? I am not sure if it's a problem of scribus or the font, or the
> reader. Should I attach the error pdf file?

Yes. please file a bug and attach everything. bugs.scribus.net has a 5 mb file
limit. It may not be a problem with Scribus, but at the least, we can figure
out for sure where the issue lies.

> >As a general note, printing to PS 2 level lasers sometimes can be very
> > slow from DTP apps. I've seen this with both Quark 4 and 5, as well as PM
> > 7. DTP apps in general create more complex PS output than other apps.
>
> Is there easy workaround? The publications can be sent to press house
> for final printing, however I wish it is possible to alway print a draft
> on my LaserJet. Don't you creat draft on a desktop printer by chance
> just to see how it looks like? :-)
>
> Thank you:)

Yes.  But in some cases its easier to export a PDF and then print from
Acroreader with kprinter. Why? There are fewer issues printing files with
transparency, etc..

I rarely encounter problems like this even with simple inkjets. the acroreader
+ kprinter works well, when my printer won't support some features directly.

Cheers,
Peter