[Scribus] bad trouble: could not print at all.

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu
Wed Sep 8 18:19:06 CEST 2004

Plinnell wrote:

>On Wednesday 08 September 2004 14:07, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>

>>I spent two days design a publication, and the draft must be printed
>>tomorrow. I only have this Laserjet ps level 2 printer in the office, if
>>I could not print it, I'll have to find another good print shop to do it.
>>
>>1) print with postscript level 3 make the printer puzzle. Nothing gets
>>printed.
>>2) print with postscript level 2, nothing gets printed, ghostscript
>>coredumps.
>>3) print to a ps file at level 2, 0 byte file created, ghostscript
>>coredumps.
>>4) print to a ps file at level 3, upload it to
>>http://createpdf.adobe.com and Adobe give me back a pdf file. Print the
>>PDF file by acroread5, the printer busy flash LED for one hour and
>>prompt "low printer memory". (Print job size is 2.4 MB and printer
>>memory is 24MB.)
>>5) export the file as 150 dpi raster image file, print the file using
>>cups lp(1), result is ugly and hard to recognize, all fonts less than
>>9pt could not read, not clear.
>>6) export as svg not tried: I don't have good apps to print in that format.
>>7) export as PDF file, acroead (both Windows version 6 and Linux version
>>5) prompt "error number 122" and half of the pulication objects are not
>>visible (most notibly, the two charts)
>>
>>So there is no way to print it :(
>>
>>I don't know why, I am only designing a one page report with two charts
>>(vector graphics), and scribus takes 10 min to load saved document on my
>>PIII 800MHz 256 MB memory freeBSD box, and swap memory usage grows very
>>soon from 0MB to 321MB. Is scribus this CPU hungary?
>>

>1) How many Chinese fonts are in the doc ?

two chinese fonts and one English font. I am one of the maintainers of
the Chinese fonts I used :)

>2) Have you imported any thing as EPS or PDF ?

Yes. After failed on importing a chart from openoffice as SVG (see
be an issue? Sorry I am dumb on this.

>3) You could try converting all fonts to outlines before attempting to print
>or the opposite is occuring, the postscript outlines are too complex for the
>Laser Jet to print.

perhaps my printer is too limited.

>4) The slow loading is unusual. I can comfortably open and export 70-90 page
>docs with my elderly PII 450 on Suse 9.1. I have opened and exported large
>docs with 150 page plus, which resulted in a 250 Mb PDF.

OOOps:) How comes! I am a new user, my publications so far are pretty
slow. Perhaps I am just bad luck.

>The error number 122 and acro reader issue, I've never ever seen.

Do you think I should now record how to produce this issue and file a
bug? I am not sure if it's a problem of scribus or the font, or the
reader. Should I attach the error pdf file?

>As a general note, printing to PS 2 level lasers sometimes can be very slow
>from DTP apps. I've seen this with both Quark 4 and 5, as well as PM 7. DTP
>apps in general create more complex PS output than other apps.

Is there easy workaround? The publications can be sent to press house
for final printing, however I wish it is possible to alway print a draft
on my LaserJet. Don't you creat draft on a desktop printer by chance
just to see how it looks like? :-)

Thank you:)