[Scribus] Some questions

Plinnell scribusdocs
Tue Sep 7 23:19:48 CEST 2004

Hi Maciej,

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 22:02, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a few chaotic questions from an enthusiastic Scribus user:
>
> 1. GUI translations. According to http://bugs.scribus.net/trans/ ,  some
> GUI translations seem to be abandoned, or at least forgotten, and are
> therefore probably unusable in those languages. Those languages
> are: Basque, Brazilian, Bulgarian, Catalan,   Dutch, Galician,
> Hungarian, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Spanish, Spanish (LA), and Turkish.
>
> Is there something we, enthusiastic Scribus users, can do about it? E.g,
> I could imagine -- should there really be no one on the list to take
> care of those languages -- posting to various  national Usenet groups a
> simple  "Request for translation help" message.

Good question.

> 2. According to Peter
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/09/02/scribus.html?page=2 ,
> there are two more confirmations (apart from http://www.twintiertimes.com/
> ) of two other weekly papers using Scribus. Are there some more details?
> Does anybody on the list know some other Scribus "success stories" which I
> could use next time, when a DTP guy asks me: "OK, but _who_ is using it?".
> It would be very helpful.

Stay tuned :) I am working on more info on this. As for success stories, other
list readers might have their own to share.

> 3. The same article, the same comment by Peter: "Scribus has its own RGB
> CMYK conversion routines, including ICC support via littlecms, so
> whether GIMP has CMYK support is irrelevant." Just to be sure: Can I
> really say this next time, a DTP guy mentions the lack of CMYK support
> in GIMP (they _always_ do), without being beaten to dust?

Yes, You sure can. Moreover a good bit of the ICC support of the kind Scribus
has is now slowly getting into GIMP CVS :)  When "Print" is chosen as the
destination in PDF export, all items are converted to CMYK color space.

And if anyone doubts it. ask them to run a few PDF files from Scribus through
PDF inspektor or Pit Stop Professional. ;)

If they are a printer and do not have one of these (IMNSHO) essential pre
flight tools, then they are waaaay behind the times. Pit Stop is the swiss
army knife of handling PDF.

Always feel free to point them here to :
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=printing&page=prepress

That PDF is updated every once in a while when I have more test results. It
was most recently updated about a week before 1.2 was released.

Oh btw, I have not forgotten bug 887.

Cheers,
Peter