[Scribus] Some questions

Frank Cox melville.theatre
Wed Sep 8 00:26:59 CEST 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:19:48 +0100, Plinnell
<scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com> wrote:

> > 2. According to Peter
> > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/09/02/scribus.html?page=2 ,
> > there are two more confirmations (apart from http://www.twintiertimes.com/
> > ) of two other weekly papers using Scribus. Are there some more details?
> > Does anybody on the list know some other Scribus "success stories" which I
> > could use next time, when a DTP guy asks me: "OK, but _who_ is using it?".
> > It would be very helpful.
> >

> Stay tuned :) I am working on more info on this. As for success stories, other
> list readers might have their own to share.

While not a Scribus "success story" yet, the Parkland Bargain Hunter
and the Regina Bargain Hunter (http://www.thebargainhunter.net) will
be laid out on Scribus shortly.

The Bargain Hunter isn't exactly a newspaper; it's a weekly classified
ad publication with a circulation of around 5000 copies per week.
There is a sample issue online if you want to see what it looks like.

The Bargain Hunter is pretty much a Linux-only shop currently running
on Fedora Core 2.  I'm the admin, webmaster, tech support, programmer,
and am the go-to guy for computer problems.

Since the Parkland paper hit 40 pages a couple of weeks back, we seem
to have hit the wall with OpenOffice -- it acts flaky with mysterious
lockups and stuff moving by itself or disappearing altogether both
during layout and when we're trying to print the masters.  I think the
document is so complex (graphics, font changes, dense text in columns)
that OpenOffice just can't handle it any more.  (The .sxw files are
pushing 5mb now.)  OpenOffice was the real deal at 36 pages, 32 pages
and less.

Long story short:  I downloaded Scribus on Friday night and spent this
past weekend playing with it.  I gave a quick lesson in how to use it
this morning and hopefully we'll have a Scribus template made within
the next week or so.

And we'll see how it goes from there.

Looking forward to being a success story, of course.