[Scribus] Usability

Manfred Jung mjung
Tue Oct 12 16:55:31 CEST 2004

Hi Everyone

First of all a great thank you for such a super program as scribus. I am writing from the
tip of Africa (Cape Town) where we use it as much as we can.

With my last publication I was under considerable time preasure and realized that one
point always held me up. perhaps it would not have shown up otherwise. But I found it
very confusing that the different DTP related programs call and place the butons
differetly. In one case I almost lost my work. Well this trigered my little usability study.
Others are probably much more clued up, but perhaps my lines strike a cord and it
doesw good to all of us.

I did a comparison and found that when you close a document that is not save each
program in Linux asks you in a different way. I noted with Scribus that the oder of
Butons changes when it asks you about overwriting an existing document.

Attached find my findings in a table as an OO.org document.

Would it be possible between the DTP related programs to unify this a bit more. I could
imagine it woold help the end users. Well this is only my view and perhaps there are
things I overlook. I know this should also be discussed with The Gimp, Sodipodi,
Inkscape etc people. But I thought here at Scribus must of us use all of them. So let the
discussion begin.

Regards
MJ