[Scribus] lists & border-art et al

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun Oct 10 15:50:47 CEST 2004

? (At) 23h46 -0400 9/10/04, Jeff ?crivait (wrote) :
>Thanks.  With this info I was able to get going on a "trial" of a
>few pages for my program book.
>
>Coming from MS Publisher, I immediately missed bulleted lists, and
>border-art.  Is there a way to get this kind of functionality in
>Scribus ?

You can put up numbered or bulleted list with the help of Paragraph
Styles. For this you need a left tabulator between the bullet or the
number (you can place any number of characters before the tab
provided your column's width) and the text. At the bottom of the Edit
Paragraph Style there are 3 fields. Create a left tab position at 2
picas. Then go the the Indent field and enter a value of 2 picas. For
First Line put a negative value of -2 picas. Of course you can put
other values if you find the gap between the bullet or number too
wide or too narrow. Just try it! Set your other values for font,
size, above, below, etc. Then, Save, OK. Apply the Style and voil?!

For bullets, you will then have to change the text font of the bullet
to something else (Regular Dingbats for instance). Do this through
the Edit>Search/Replace menu. Provided you have used a unique glyph
(or combination of) for your bullets, this will take seconds. You
will even be able to adjust the type size of the bullet though that
dialog.

Using the same technique, you will be able to achieve lists with
tremendous control. If another hierarchic level is needed, just
increase the Indent and the Tab position, leaving the -2 picas value
for the First line to get a consistant spacing.

I think "border-art" like borders are on the to-do list. In the
meantime, you'd have to work this out another way, using picture
frames and vector art, I guess.

BTW, QuarkXPress (all the way to and including 6.1) has no other way
to create a bulleted list or a numbered list (no automatic numbering
as well).

Note to all: this explanation (and more fine tuning on the same
subject) will be in the updated tutorial, with screen shots, some
time from now!

>Also, the lack of per-line interline spacing is a pain.  Doing it
>with styles is not very convenient.. I'd end up with hundreds of
>styles before the book was done.  I need a way to add spacing above
>or below each individual paragraph to get a good "look".

There are two fields for just what you're looking for: "Above" and
"Below". But you will have to work this out through the Edit
Paragraph Style dialog box.

>Another thing that would be helpful would be to able able vertically
>center text in a text frame.  For what it's worth, Quark 4 doesn't
>seem to have this either.

This is not implemented yet. But there is a way to achieve this
through the Properties Palette>Shape. You have 4 fields to adjust the
"Distance of text". To center vertically, here's an easy trick. Use
the measurement tool (little ruler icon) and measure the gap between
the last line of text and the bottom of the text frame. Divide this
value by 2 and enter the result in the Top field of
Properties>Shape>Distance of text>Top. Your text will be vertically
centered.

(Footnote: AFAIK, Quark does that from 4.x up.)

>Publisher may be crude for some needs, but for some tasks it's great.
>You can make all your blocks snap together at the edges, and control
>alignment and margins from those edges.  Then you can move the edges
>after the fact.

Have you tried the Distribute/Align function from the Item menu? I
don't know Publisher but maybe this will help you.

Also, you can use the Page>Manage Guides to create useful guides to
which items can snap from a customizable distance in
Settings>Preferences>Guides>Guide Snap Distance field.

HTH ;-)

Louis