[Scribus] Font trouble on MDK10 official

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu May 27 23:49:10 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 17:12, Vladimir Zborowski wrote:
> Hi ,
> According to what I have read on this list, it might be a font issue, so
> you should try to get rid of the ones you don't really need (by the way
> does someone know a good font manager for Linux ? ).
> I'd be very happy to post you my "xft font configuration" but how can I
> get that ? (As you can see I'm afraid I won't be a great technical help ;-)
> Vlad
>

> Robert French wrote:
>
> > As Vlad suggested, I've installed the new rpm files, but scribus is
> > still segfaulting at the same point. I've been looking around for
> > information on xft, and I think it may be something to do with my
> > font  configuration, or lack thereof. Could someone post their font
> > configuration so that I can correct what's in mine?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Robert French
> >
> > On May 27, 2004, at 1:10 AM, Vladimir Zborowski wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> There is at least two rpms available for scribus 1.1.6, one on the
> >> edulinux website http://edulinux.org/scribus/RPMS/
> >> and one in the club contribs of mandrake. They work fine for me (but
> >> I'm using Mdrk 10 community).
> >> Did you already try them ?
> >>
> >> Vlad

My bet is you have installed some of the freefonts which include some
broken fonts. Scribus has code to test for this, as neither Qt nor
freetype2 test for font quality.

Mandrake packages some fonts, which are less than optimal quality IMO.

Call me a font snob, but the ones which I trust are

Luxi Fonts,
Ghostscript fonts
Utopia and Bitstream fonts from Xfree86
Gentium
URW fonts from Artifex.
LidoCE font
MS web fonts

Fonts to avoid:

Hershey fonts
some of the freefonts and sharefonts packages which come from
ftp.gimp.org
Free fonts downloaded from the internet.

on www.scribus.net there are links to find good quality fonts for Linux.

One other thing which could be messed is old font caches:

as root:

fc-cache -fv

will refresh the fontconfig font cache.

Hope that helps,