[Scribus] Charset problems with Scribus]

Fred Albrecht fred
Sat May 1 20:48:25 CEST 2004

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 16:56, Fred Albrecht wrote:

>>What is "Insert special" supposed to do ? When I select that menu item
>>nothing happens.
>

> Be in text editing mode when editing within a frame, or within the Story
> Editor. Then it will activate and work. Minor menu item issue.. will be
> fixed.

Ah, right, got it.

Only works when editing a frame though. Since the Story Editor window is
modal, I can't access the menu to get to the "Insert special" item.

>>I started scribus from a terminal to see if anything went to STDERR but
>>it doesn't seem to complain about anything.
>>
>>Oh, there is this when Scribus starts :

>>Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
>>Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
>>Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
>>'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
>>
>>maybe it's related ? What is that <prefix> ? Is it something like
>>/usr/lib/scribus/plugins ? How about <exec_prefix> ? The docs don't seem
>>to adress that point...
>

> I dont think its related at all.. looks like a python issue, is Python
> found when you build Scribus?

Actually I installed it from the provided RH RPM (because I was lazy).

> $PREFIX depends on the distro, can be
> /usr/local or /usr for example.

I'll set a variable before starting Scribus then if that's all it takes
to make it happy :)

>>Works fine for me as well inside Scribus. It's in the PDF that it gets
>>screwed up (I tried viewing the PDF in Linux on Windows 98 and on NT 5.1
>>with acroread versions ranging from 5.8 to 6). The fonts are always
>>fully embedded in the final document btw.
>

> Yes, as above.. will chat to Franz about it

Apparently it seems to be font related, I'm experimenting with this...

Could someone enlighten me as to what the "unicode" support" means for
Scribus in this context ? Does it mean that if I can get a properly
designed and complete (yeah right) Unicode font, I should be able to
make a document using any character in it ? And a PDF as well ?

--
Fred.
   Linux, {Free,Open}BSD mercenary {sys,net}admin @ N48?53.115 E02?19.31