[Scribus] Charset problems with Scribus]

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sat May 1 21:05:43 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 20:48, Fred Albrecht wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 16:56, Fred Albrecht wrote:
>
> >>What is "Insert special" supposed to do ? When I select that menu item
> >>nothing happens.
> >

> > Be in text editing mode when editing within a frame, or within the Story
> > Editor. Then it will activate and work. Minor menu item issue.. will be
> > fixed.
>
> Ah, right, got it.
>
> Only works when editing a frame though. Since the Story Editor window is
> modal, I can't access the menu to get to the "Insert special" item.

Sorry, Im always thinking in CVS mode as I only ever run/develop on CVS.
In CVS there is a menu item for Insert Special in Story Editor.

> >>I started scribus from a terminal to see if anything went to STDERR but
> >>it doesn't seem to complain about anything.
> >>
> >>Oh, there is this when Scribus starts :

> >>Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> >>Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> >>Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> >>'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> >>
> >>maybe it's related ? What is that <prefix> ? Is it something like
> >>/usr/lib/scribus/plugins ? How about <exec_prefix> ? The docs don't seem
> >>to adress that point...
> >

> > I dont think its related at all.. looks like a python issue, is Python
> > found when you build Scribus?
>
> Actually I installed it from the provided RH RPM (because I was lazy).
>
> > $PREFIX depends on the distro, can be
> > /usr/local or /usr for example.
>
> I'll set a variable before starting Scribus then if that's all it takes
> to make it happy :)
>
> >>Works fine for me as well inside Scribus. It's in the PDF that it gets
> >>screwed up (I tried viewing the PDF in Linux on Windows 98 and on NT 5.1
> >>with acroread versions ranging from 5.8 to 6). The fonts are always
> >>fully embedded in the final document btw.
> >

> > Yes, as above.. will chat to Franz about it
>
> Apparently it seems to be font related, I'm experimenting with this...
>
> Could someone enlighten me as to what the "unicode" support" means for
> Scribus in this context ? Does it mean that if I can get a properly
> designed and complete (yeah right) Unicode font, I should be able to
> make a document using any character in it ? And a PDF as well ?

In CVS at least, you can type in Unicode by F12+the hex code, eg
F12+202F.

Craig