[Scribus] Charset problems with Scribus]

Fred Albrecht fred
Sat May 1 16:56:21 CEST 2004

Craig Bradney wrote:

> I'm not sure about the PDF export issue, will look into that with Franz.

Thanks :)

> If you look in the "Insert Special" window within Scribus when editing a
> text frame you will see all of the glyphs available to Scribus within a
> font.

What is "Insert special" supposed to do ? When I select that menu item
nothing happens.

I started scribus from a terminal to see if anything went to STDERR but
it doesn't seem to complain about anything.

Oh, there is this when Scribus starts :

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

maybe it's related ? What is that <prefix> ? Is it something like
/usr/lib/scribus/plugins ? How about <exec_prefix> ? The docs don't seem
to adress that point...

> Any other glyphs do not exist, and you can confirm with pfaedit.

I never installed font editors, I have mostly been using gucharmap, the
Unicode character map viewer from the Gnome desktop to look at available
glyphs (although it does have the tendency to show Unicode glyphs even
when they aren't supported by the selected font).

> I'm not sure how you are using 202F and with Vera Sans
> though, I just get a square in Scribus.

Same here. I inserted it by copying it from gucharmap and pasting it
into Scribus (in the Story Editor).

> I do however get the 00A0
> working fine within Scribus.

Works fine for me as well inside Scribus. It's in the PDF that it gets
screwed up (I tried viewing the PDF in Linux on Windows 98 and on NT 5.1
with acroread versions ranging from 5.8 to 6). The fonts are always
fully embedded in the final document btw.

--
Fred.
   Linux, {Free,Open}BSD mercenary {sys,net}admin @ N48?53.115 E02?19.31