[Scribus] Charset problems with Scribus

Fred Albrecht fred
Sat May 1 19:18:57 CEST 2004

Vladimir Zborowski wrote:
> Fred Albrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So onwards to the question :
>>
>> Scribus supports Unicode. Unicode defines both "no break space"
>> (U+00A0) and "narrow no break space" (U+202F). The first of those is
>> also part of the Latin-1 (and Latin-9) charset. However, when I use it
>> in a document, the resulting PDF displays it as a square (I haven't
>> yet tried the second, not knowing whether a special font should be used).
>>
>> Is there a way around this ? Is it a font issue (I currently use the
>> Bistream Vera Sans font) ?
>

> I made a quick test, and yes, it seems to  be somehow a font issue : I
> mean I got the same problem as you with Vera, but it worked fine with
> Luxi Serif Regular (picked at random).

Damn :(

I was so confident that the Vera was a properly made font that I didn't
really explore that option. Time for some testing. I'm making a test
document with a large amount of fonts. I'll post the result here when
I'm done.

Fred.
   Linux, {Free,Open}BSD mercenary {sys,net}admin @ N48?53.115 E02?19.31
      This message is made from the freshest handpicked electrons
                       http://www.fredshome.org