[Scribus] Rotis: font-problem

Ralf Höling hoeling
Sun Mar 21 16:17:54 CET 2004

Hi Craig!
Am 21.03.2004 um 12:57 schrieb Craig Bradney:

>>> (...)

>>> Wait until Inkscape 0.38 for a comparison of the font systems. Their
>>> system is getting a rewrite and will be more like the Scribus one.
>>> Then
>>> we can compare. These fonts may not work in Inkscape then either.
>>
>> You're kidding? Why make something worse? O.K. Scribus is for Linux
>> and
>> not for Mac so I must not complain, but I like not only the opensource
>> idea but also Scribus. So it's sad to here that I won't be able to use
>> most of my fonts neither in scribus nor in Inkscape in the future, or
>> did I get something wrong?
>
> Its not the point of being worse.. its actually better. The fact is
> that
> Scribus interprets fonts in terms of postscript, rather than in terms
> of
> dumping letters on a page like if you think in html. Inkscape is moving
> towards providing functions like EPS export and therefore needs to fix
> its font handling.
Well the fonts I'm talking about worked well with QuarkExpress 3.2 for
many years and eps export was no problem.
I think the point is that some fonts needed Adobe Type Manager to work
right in Mac OS 9 and earlier, and I don't know what ATM did with
theese fonts.

> As to the reason why your font is not picked up.. well.. if you can get
> it into usable format, one of us could try it here.. or you could send
> it to Franz and when he is back from Cebit he can see why its not being
> picked up. If theres an issue within the Scribus code or within
> freetype
> then that needs to be addressed, of course and it would be.

That would be very nice, which format do you prefer and how many fonts
do you want to try?

Ralf