[Scribus] Rotis: font-problem

LinuxLingam linuxlingam
Sun Mar 21 19:13:23 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 20:47, Ralf H?ling wrote:
[snip]
> Well the fonts I'm talking about worked well with QuarkExpress 3.2 for
> many years and eps export was no problem.

my view: what quark, pagemaker, achieved over two decades of
development, scribus is achieving and in a few aspects exceeding in less
than 2 years. minor issues such as the ones mentiond here, will ofcourse
get sorted out rather quickly, too.

> I think the point is that some fonts needed Adobe Type Manager to work
> right in Mac OS 9 and earlier, and I don't know what ATM did with
> theese fonts.

ATM=take a postscript font, that an OS like mac or win did not
understand inherently, and create on-the-fly rendered, anti-aliased
glyphs on screen. until win98 you needed this utility.
today, font rendering (converting postscript into pixels for
beautiful-looking fonts on screen) is built into the latest breed of all
OSes, so you don't need ATM.

so what handles this under gnulinux? freetype.

also, check whether you are using opentype versions of the font or
postscript versions.

hth

:-)
LL