[Scribus] Rotis: font-problem

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sun Mar 21 12:57:14 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 12:34, Ralf H?ling wrote:
> Hi!

> >> I tried with all tricks (compressing with stuffit, installing stuffit
> >> for windows, etc.) but it doesn't work :-(
> >> So I can't imagine that any dtp-professional would throw all his
> >> expensive fonts away and buy new ones, even if they were available
> >> just
> >> to work with Scribus. And what I can't understand is that theese fonts
> >> work without any problem on the same machine also under X11 with
> >> Inkscape.
> >> Don't get me wrong, I like Scribus very much and there are great
> >> improvements, but as long as most of my fonts don't work in Scribus I
> >> can't use it. I hope in the future the font-management will be as good
> >> as in Inkscape or sodipodi.
> >
> > Wait until Inkscape 0.38 for a comparison of the font systems. Their
> > system is getting a rewrite and will be more like the Scribus one. Then
> > we can compare. These fonts may not work in Inkscape then either.
>
> You're kidding? Why make something worse? O.K. Scribus is for Linux and
> not for Mac so I must not complain, but I like not only the opensource
> idea but also Scribus. So it's sad to here that I won't be able to use
> most of my fonts neither in scribus nor in Inkscape in the future, or
> did I get something wrong?

Its not the point of being worse.. its actually better. The fact is that
Scribus interprets fonts in terms of postscript, rather than in terms of
dumping letters on a page like if you think in html. Inkscape is moving
towards providing functions like EPS export and therefore needs to fix
its font handling.

As to the reason why your font is not picked up.. well.. if you can get
it into usable format, one of us could try it here.. or you could send
it to Franz and when he is back from Cebit he can see why its not being
picked up. If theres an issue within the Scribus code or within freetype
then that needs to be addressed, of course and it would be.

Craig