[Scribus] French characters on English Keyboard. Thanks Owen!

ephemeron ephemeron
Fri Jul 30 03:44:07 CEST 2004

On 29. July 2004 at 1:21PM +0200,
Philipp Wagner <lists at philipp-wagner.com> wrote:

> Craig Bradney schrieb:
> > [...]
> >
> > Use Insert Special, but when you find the characters you
> > need, right click on them there and write down the Unicode
> > Hex character code. When editing the text, hit F12, type in
> > the code and the character will appear.. not as slow as
> > always switching to the insert window each time or trying to
> > type full words there.
>
> Hmm, I remember that it was (is?) possible in MS Word to type
> ALT-<Unicode> to get any special char inserted. I think typing
> the ALT-key is a lot faster than pressing F12, especially if
> you have a lot of special characters to insert (I often used
> that when I had to type German stuff on an American
> keyboard). I don't know if that is a speciality of MS Word or a
> feature of Windows (or the edit-components).  Does that collide
> with other shortcuts or would it be possible to support it?

That's a Windows feature.  But the Mac way of entering special
characters is lots better, to get the "e" in say "elan" you had
to type IRC option-e e, somewhat like deadkeys.