[Scribus] TIFF/IT support

Plinnell scribusdocs
Wed Jul 28 20:38:08 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 18:45, Tobias Stumpf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 28. Juli 2004 09:42 schrieb Christophe CHAILLOLEAU
>
> LECLERC:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question from a friend that works in DTP.
> > Does Scribus support the TIFF/IT file format, or is the support
> > planned ? It seems that this file format's usage is growing very
> > quickly, and this may be a great added value for Scribus.
> > If it isn't supported - or planned, could you please tell me why
> > (badly documented, no time or no developper to achieve this,
> > protected by patents, ...).
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> Scribus support the TIFF file format, but the problem is, that there
> are many different TIFF file formats. I think about 50. Look at [1]
> for more information.
>
> When I work with scribus and would like import Tiff files I opened it
> with gimp and save it with gimp and it will work fine, because
> scribus use the same tiff library like gimp.
>
> [1] http://www.scribus.net
>
> CU
> Tobias

Hi,

The suggestion of opening in GIMP and re-saving is a good one, but IIRC, there
was a bug fixed in 2.0.1 or 2.0.2, which fixes Tiff saving issues. Updating
is a good idea for sure.

As for TIFF/IT support, yes, this would be a useful feature, but PDF does
bring more versatility IMO and Scribus exported PDF are superb  - one of its
strongest features.. I will look into the specs when time allows, but our
focus is 100% on delivering a rock stable 1.2 Scribus.

Cheers,
Peter