[Scribus] x64 compilation

Paul paul
Thu Jan 15 02:05:03 CET 2004

Hi,

> Perhaps it's worth creating a part of the documentation with 'Hardware
> for Scribus' recommendations..? I'm planning to buy a new custom PC for
> use as a DTP workstation in the next month or so, so I can post my
> specs for comment and a review of my final machine if that would be
> useful  :)

If you're buying a box, avoid the crap from the box pushers (likes of PC
World/Dixons in the UK) - go to a local independant. Specify the
hardware and ensure you say you don't want an OS on the drive.

Minimum hardware
P3-450 (P2-700 at a push!)
128Mb memory (more the merrier)
GF2 64Mb*
About 10Mb on the HD for the final binary & libs

I would recommend that if you have this sort of box, you use the 2.6.1
kernel.

* avoid like the plague on board video. Slows things down, especially on
a poor quality mobo.

At work it looks like we have to buy from Centerprise. These bunch of
idiots wouldn't know how to make a good computer if you bitslapped them
for a month. I have only ever known one brand of machine which won't
install Linux in a graphic mode - and it's theirs.

Centerprise == PC World own brand

Me, I insist on Gigabyte mobos, decent DDR memory and a GF4 440TX
(128Mb). Yum!

TTFN

Paul
--