[Scribus] More info--Scribus building on OS X

Kevin Walzer kevin
Tue Jan 13 02:40:56 CET 2004

I copied the latest snapshot of arts from KDE cvs, ran the patch, did
the makefile-cvs, and then copied the admin directory to my Scribus
directory.

I then get this:

checking for strip... strip
admin/ltconfig: admin/ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed
[Kevin-Walzers-Computer:~/Desktop/scribus-1.1.4] kevinwal%

I've run into this problem before, which is why I started trying to
build using qmake directly. Any ideas?

On Jan 12, 2004, at 5:27 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>
>> I've made further progress. For some reason, the standard ./configure
>> and make commands do not build the files properly on OS X. What has
>> worked this far--at least in getting further in the build--is to
>> configure the Makefile to conform to OS X's Xcode IDE, and run the
>> build from Xcode.  QT provides parameters to do this (qmake -project,
>> then qmake -spec macx-pbuilder scribus.pro). This is the only way I
>> am able to generate .moc files, although what happens then is that
>> instead of creating foo.moc, a file named moc_foo.cpp is generated.
>> Since the source files all contain #include foo.cpp statements, that
>> breaks the build once it gets to a name that conflicts. I've
>> confirmed this by changing a few of the include statements to
>> #include moc_foo.cpp.
>
> If I recall correctly, scribus uses the KDE build system, in which
> case you can copy the admin/ dir from any of our (the KDE-Darwin team)
> patched KDE trees over scribus's admin, and run "make -f
> admin/Makefile.common cvs" and then the normal configure, make, make
> install.
>
> Without the updated admin/ dir, KDE stuff in general won't build out
> of the box with Qt/Mac.
>
> --
> Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick -- http://ranger.befunk.com/
> gpg: 6401 D02A A35F 55E9 D7DD  71C5 52EF A366 D3F6 65FE
> A computer scientist is someone who, when told to 'Go to Hell', sees
> the 'go to', rather than the destination, as harmful.

---

Kevin Walzer, Ph.D.
Editor
WordTech Communications -- A New Paradigm of Poetry
http://www.wordtechcommunications.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:kevin at wordtechweb.com