[Scribus] print preview extremly slow ?

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Feb 28 22:38:58 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 16:19, Sebastian R?der wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> nice to see this massiv improvement in the print preview.
>
> Maybe, you can give me a hind in the following problem, as there was nobody on
> the list how could answer - or maybe nobody understod my stupid english
> describtion. My printer-office expects 600dpi pdf from me - no problem. But
> how do I deal with photos, that have a resolution less than 600dpi (I have a
> 4 megapixel digikam). If I put them into the scribus-doc, it`s shows me that
> they have around 300 dpi resolution. In the past, a used gimp tools to work
> with this pictures, as long as scribus shows me a 600 dpi resolution. But
> this is quite hard work, I don`t know whether is makes sense for quality at
> all and the picture date is quite high, so that scribus slows down.

It does not. This is called up-sampling and merely adds bloat to the
files, as you have experienced slows down scribus a lot. Up-sampling
photos can be tricky and takes time to make it work. 300 dpi is more
than sufficient resolution for photos, unless you were printing to a
very high resolution device like printing for a high-end art book.

> What if I use the original resolution photos and create 600 dpi pdfs? Do they
> have the original ~ 300 dpi resolution in the pdf, too - or are the converted
> into 600 dpi as well (what about quality?). Maybe, I have to set the picture
> resolution to 600 dpi in the pdf dialog to reach my aim, or is this option
> yust to define a picture-resolution different the the global pdf resolution?

Use 600 dpi, automatic and Maximum Quality in the PDF Export and leave
downsampling unchecked. This will give you maximum quality with your 300
dpi pictures without unwanted file or PDF bloat.

> I hope somebody can answer till sunday evening, cause I have to finish my work
> tomorrow.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sebastian

Hope that helps,