[Scribus] print preview extremly slow ?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sat Feb 28 22:56:17 CET 2004

Hi Sebastian

> Maybe, you can give me a hind in the following problem, as there was nobody on
> the list how could answer - or maybe nobody understod my stupid english
> describtion. My printer-office expects 600dpi pdf from me - no problem. But
> how do I deal with photos, that have a resolution less than 600dpi (I have a
> 4 megapixel digikam). If I put them into the scribus-doc, it`s shows me that
> they have around 300 dpi resolution. In the past, a used gimp tools to work
> with this pictures, as long as scribus shows me a 600 dpi resolution. But
> this is quite hard work, I don`t know whether is makes sense for quality at
> all and the picture date is quite high, so that scribus slows down.
>
> What if I use the original resolution photos and create 600 dpi pdfs? Do they
> have the original ~ 300 dpi resolution in the pdf, too - or are the converted
> into 600 dpi as well (what about quality?). Maybe, I have to set the picture
> resolution to 600 dpi in the pdf dialog to reach my aim, or is this option
> yust to define a picture-resolution different the the global pdf resolution?
>
> I hope somebody can answer till sunday evening, cause I have to finish my work
> tomorrow.

I think you should set the PDF to 600 dpi.
Set up your image frames to the right size. Then load the images into
Gimp. Go to Image resize and then set the image size and let the DPI
move up to the highest it will go, or set it to 300. Import the images,
dont turn on Downscaling when exporting. The choice of image compression
type.. and quality is up to you. The printer should have no issues with
that kind of DPI in images. You cant get any higher anyway... resizing
above in DPI and in size wont help, it'll only make it worse.

Thats my best guess... I'll get Peter to have a look at my reply on the
list and add some ideas or correct me :)

regards
Craig