[Scribus] Announcing Inkscape 0.37 Release

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Feb 25 16:52:39 CET 2004

BandiPat wrote:
> Gregory Pittman wrote:

>> I don't know if anyone else checked this out, but Inkscape has some
>> library requirements that left me with a long list of deficiencies
>> when you try to compile. I didn't have the energy to chase down all
>> the things I needed.  At least Sodipodi is more modest in its
>> requirements -- still rather crashy, though.
>>
>> Gregory Pittman
>

> Gregory,
> Don't remember what distro you are running, but believe it to be SuSE
> 9.0??  I have created a real SuSE rpm from a spec file and it should
> work for most folk's using 9.0 SuSE.  I am updated to KDE 3.2 though, so
> if you don't have that, you might run into some problems.  I think Peter
> was going to create a rpm for a base/unchanged SuSE 9.0 install, but not
> sure if he got around to it or not.

Right now it's RH9 (but with a 2.4.23 kernel outside of RH), KDE 3.1.2,
Qt 3.3
Like many, I'm trying to figure out where I'm going later this year
after RH stops updating RH9. The thing I don't like about SuSE is that
it only keeps me stuck in many of the same problems I have with RH --
the RPMs are behind, sometimes *way* behind the development curve,
although arguably SuSE may be a bit more aggressive that RH has become
for all us non-Enterprise users. Then there's all these
incompatibilities -- I especially hate it when an RPM complains of
incompatibility when I don't have an *older* version of some library.

But the biggest thing is with cutting edge development like Scribus,
where you absolutely want to compile and trying to update libraries by
compiling causes no end of trouble because the gods of RPMs have their
own scheme of where various files go -- it makes me look forward to the
day when Linux will be RPM-free: in some ways, RPMs have that
Microsoft-brainless mentality to them.

But back to Inkscape -- my experience with Sodipodi [also in the < 1.0
version zone (both < 0.5 actually)] suggests that I have better things
to do with my time.

Gregory Pittman