[Scribus] Announcing Inkscape 0.37 Release

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Feb 25 16:58:15 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:52, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> BandiPat wrote:
> > Gregory Pittman wrote:
>

> >> I don't know if anyone else checked this out, but Inkscape has some
> >> library requirements that left me with a long list of deficiencies
> >> when you try to compile. I didn't have the energy to chase down all
> >> the things I needed.  At least Sodipodi is more modest in its
> >> requirements -- still rather crashy, though.
> >>
> >> Gregory Pittman
> >

> > Gregory,
> > Don't remember what distro you are running, but believe it to be SuSE
> > 9.0??  I have created a real SuSE rpm from a spec file and it should
> > work for most folk's using 9.0 SuSE.  I am updated to KDE 3.2 though, so
> > if you don't have that, you might run into some problems.  I think Peter
> > was going to create a rpm for a base/unchanged SuSE 9.0 install, but not
> > sure if he got around to it or not.
>
> Right now it's RH9 (but with a 2.4.23 kernel outside of RH), KDE 3.1.2,
> Qt 3.3
> Like many, I'm trying to figure out where I'm going later this year
> after RH stops updating RH9. The thing I don't like about SuSE is that
> it only keeps me stuck in many of the same problems I have with RH --
> the RPMs are behind, sometimes *way* behind the development curve,
> although arguably SuSE may be a bit more aggressive that RH has become
> for all us non-Enterprise users. Then there's all these
> incompatibilities -- I especially hate it when an RPM complains of
> incompatibility when I don't have an *older* version of some library.
>
> But the biggest thing is with cutting edge development like Scribus,
> where you absolutely want to compile and trying to update libraries by
> compiling causes no end of trouble because the gods of RPMs have their
> own scheme of where various files go -- it makes me look forward to the
> day when Linux will be RPM-free: in some ways, RPMs have that
> Microsoft-brainless mentality to them.

If you have a decent net connection, then you may find Gentoo suits your
needs. None of this RPM rubbish to speak of ;).

get it booting to command line
emerge kde scribus
come back when its done and use scribus.

Craig