[Scribus] Difference between DTP and word processor

Rainer Heilke rheilke
Fri Dec 17 15:03:18 CET 2004

I may as well throw in my 1.5c worth.

This argument is fairly complete, with one addition. WP tended to change
the output--sometimes radically--depending upon the printer driver. DTP
were supposed to be very controlled, and make, at most, very minor
changes. This is one big reason why the ealry versions of MS Publisher
were little more than "let's pretend" toys.

Your last item surprises me, though. I think that most people who
understand the difference well enough to know they want a DTP would be
aghast if their DTP started showing too many signs of being a WP. That's
what import filters are for. The only potentially useful function, off
the top of my head, would be to automate the flow of text into
similar-shaped text boxes on the following page(s). Want to compete with
MS Office? Use StarOffice/OpenOffice, or one of the miriad other
competitors.

Rainer Heilke