[Scribus] Difference between DTP and word processor

Nik scribus
Fri Dec 17 13:30:55 CET 2004

As a long-time word-processor user, and a relative newcomer to DTP, here is my
2c worth:

A word processor is content-oriented, whereas DTP is layout-oriented.

Based on an opening comment in one of the Scribus tutorials, this could be put
more dynamically as: Word processors edit content, whereas DTPs edit space.

Comparing Word and OO Writer (which seems to be almost bug-compatable with
Word) with Scribus and PageMaker, these distinctions seem still to hold.

In a Word-processor, one can happily enter content with little regard to the
final layout. The program will work it out dynamically as it goes. This is
actually quite useful when writing a letter, and can be very unhelpful when
writing a larger document or publication.

In a DTP, one must put all content into a frame. The content often comes from
outside the DTP, and the DTP user is more concerned with where things go, and
ensuring there is the desired amount of space between everything. This is
extra work when dynamic layout would work, but much easier (for me at least)
when layout becomes more important.

Speaking as one who wants to see Scribus displace Microsoft Office completely,
I would like to see a few more WP features come into Scribus, such as
optional dynamic layout. Since WP has moved more into DTP turf, it's about
time DTP moved back onto their turf.

Cheers!
Nik.