[Scribus] Difference between DTP and word processor

BandiPat magicpage91
Thu Dec 16 17:56:27 CET 2004

robert wrote:
> I've only recently started learning scribus, and I got asked today what the
> difference is between a DTP program (such as scribus) and a word processor
> (say Word or OpenOffice's Writer).
>
> The best answer I could give is scribus can output something ready for a
> commercial 4 (or 5) color printing press. It can also do PDF forms (a nice
> feature in and of itself). However it lacks a spell checker and it's not that
> good for creating the text. Scribus is great for page layout however. (The
> response to this last point was, "So what. I can add pictures, and graphs in
> Writer/Word too.")
>
> Frankly, I found my answer sorely lacking, which shows I still have much to
> learn. Can anyone enlighten me?
[...]

Robert,
This is destined to become one of those comparisons like religion and
politics and no matter how much the combatants debate it, no clear
winner will emerge!  :o)

The differences between the two programs have lessened in the last few
years and certainly the word processing programs have taken on a lot of
the DTP programs features.  But, yes there is a but, a word processor is
not a DTP program yet!  There are many feature differences in the two,
but trying to convince someone that has never used both, of those
differences, is near impossible.  The best thing you can offer probably,
is to have them use one, when they want to actually do some page layout.
  A word processor is just that, a word processor with a few additions
to add graphics, etc.  If though you need to "layout" a page, a book, a
magazine, something a DTP program excels at, then you are quite likely
to fall short trying to do that in a word processor.  Many have tried
though, some may have even succeeded, but they will be the first to tell
you a DTP program would have cut their work time way down!

Again, if the user has never used a DTP program, they are likely never
to understand the differences, even to do a simple flyer.  For those
people that have used both though, it's never really a question of which
program they choose when getting ready to layout a project!

There are probably some sites on the internet that may go into greater
detail or explanation, do a search with Google.  I'm sure you'll come up
with several hits.  For those of us that have encountered this
debate/argument before though, we realize it's a futile endeavor and
leave the unconvinced user to wallow in their word processor mire.  ;o)

Patrick
--
           ---SuSE Linux v9.2 Pro---
         Registered Linux User #225206