[Scribus] Adding fonts.

BandiPat magicpage91
Thu Dec 9 17:13:01 CET 2004

John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 00:25, BandiPat wrote:
>>John Culleton wrote:
>>>I took a bunch of fonts and  dumped them into
>>>/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 on my Slackware system.  Then I ran
>>>fc-cache . The fonts still don't show up in Scribus. What more do I need
>>>to do?

>>John,
>>Don't know if this works the same on your Slackware, but did you perhaps
>>restart the X server?  Anytime I make changes of this nature, I
>>ctrl-alt-F1, login as root, init 3 and lastly init 5.  That should
>>reload the X server and all fonts, if there are no problems.
>
> Earlier I rebooted, which of course restarts the X server.
>
> Today I just changed the ownership of /usr/share/fonts to my user id, ran
> fc-cache again as a user, not as root, rebooted and still the same result.
>
> As part of the reboot process fc-cache is run yet again.
>
> The fonts in question have two origins, Knoppix 3.6 and the latest TeX-Live
> distribution. I put them in /usr/share/cache because I didn't want to muck up
> the X11 font libraries.
>
> The theory behind the fc-cache process is that all X11 apps can share the same
> fonts. On my system there are four sources listed in
> the  /etc/fonts/fonts.conf directory:
>

>   <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
>   <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF</dir>
>   <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir>
>   <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
>
> I chose /usr/share/fonts as the least destructive location.
>
> Have you added fonts successfully? If so, where did you put them? And what did
> you do next?
>
> Thanks for any help.

==================

John,
Again, I make no warranties this will work for you with the Slackware,
but this is the usual procedure I go through to install extra fonts.
Also, I agree with Peter, in that using the KDE control center to
install fonts works nicely.  I prefer to do them manually myself.

In installing extra fonts, I always make a new directory within:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/

That is the main font location for the system, so it just seems best to
put it there, if I want system wide usage.  Once installed, you need to
build a couple of files and get them ready for use by ghostscript.  As
root, from a shell, I run:  /usr/bin/fonts-config --force
That should build a fonts.cache-1 & fonts.scale file within the
directory.  I am not sure if that is a common command or SuSE specific
though.

If everything is good so far, I then add the path to my new fonts in
/etc/X11/XF86Config or xorg.conf, in the font path area.  I then restart
the X server, not reboot, just the X server.  I know there are suppose
to be ways to add the fonts while in KDE, but restarting the X server
works best for me and it only takes a few seconds.  Here's the procedure:
ctrl-alt-F1 (takes you to one of many terminal screens)
login as root user
type:  init 3  (stops X server)
press enter key
type:  init 5  (restarts X and allows login to your preferred GUI)

Hopefully that will help a bit.  At least, maybe it will give you some
things to look at though.

regards,
Patrick

--