[Scribus] Adding fonts.

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Dec 9 16:19:55 CET 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 14:04, John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 07:24, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > Scribus <=1.2.x does not support fontconfig. Font discovery is done
> > through X alone, however Scribus supports adding fonts from anywhere in
> > the filesystem. Start Scribus, Settings, Fonts, Additional Font Paths and
> > add the directory in.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Did that and Scribus crashed with a X11 signal. So I restarted Scribus. Now
> the tab for Additional Font Paths is grayed out.

If Scribus then crashes, you more than likely have a bad font in that
directory. Freetype doesnt pass all errors through that hurt Scribus.

> To recap, thus far I have added the /usr/share/fonts/ directory
> to /etc/fonts/font.conf and run fc-cache. Rebooted but no effect.
>
> Following another suggestion I added /usr/share/fonts/ to the list of font
> locations in the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Rebooted but no effect.

Theres no need to reboot, certainly not for Scribus sake.

> Following your suggestion I tried a dynamic add via settings->fonts->
> Additional font paths.  I didn't get the fonts but I did lose that tab.

You dont lose the tab unless you have a document open, even then its greyed
out. Scribus preferences as opposed to document preferences are not available
in 1.2.x when a document is open.

> Friends and neighbors, this isn't, or shouldn't be rocket science. Let me
> ask: how do I successfully add type 1 fonts to Scribus, given a Slackware
> system and Scribus 1.2 build date 28 Aug 2004?
>
>  And BTW how and where do I fix the problem with the grayed  out tab?
> Should I delete the .scribus directory in my home directory and allow
> Scribus to reconfigure itself?  Do a full Scribus recompile and reinstall?
> Commit hari kari?

As above. Recompiling wont help a thing, except if you upgrade to CVS which
would be of benefit given the number of advances. Thats up to you, 1.2.1 is
not that far away.

Craig