[Scribus] Adding fonts.

Plinnell scribusdocs
Thu Dec 9 14:26:22 CET 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 14:04, John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 07:24, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > Scribus <=1.2.x does not support fontconfig. Font discovery is done
> > through X alone, however Scribus supports adding fonts from anywhere in
> > the filesystem. Start Scribus, Settings, Fonts, Additional Font Paths and
> > add the directory in.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Did that and Scribus crashed with a X11 signal. So I restarted Scribus. Now
> the tab for Additional Font Paths is grayed out.
>
> To recap, thus far I have added the /usr/share/fonts/ directory
> to /etc/fonts/font.conf and run fc-cache. Rebooted but no effect.
>
> Following another suggestion I added /usr/share/fonts/ to the list of font
> locations in the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Rebooted but no effect.
>
> Following your suggestion I tried a dynamic add via settings->fonts->
> Additional font paths.  I didn't get the fonts but I did lose that tab.
>
> Friends and neighbors, this isn't, or shouldn't be rocket science. Let me
> ask: how do I successfully add type 1 fonts to Scribus, given a Slackware
> system and Scribus 1.2 build date 28 Aug 2004?
>
>  And BTW how and where do I fix the problem with the grayed  out tab?
> Should I delete the .scribus directory in my home directory and allow
> Scribus to reconfigure itself?  Do a full Scribus recompile and reinstall?
> Commit hari kari?

First, with fontconfig, unless you are setting up for multi-user usage, just
create a directory $home/.fonts.

Then drop whatever fonts you want in there.

$fc-cache -fv ~/.fonts

Then restart Scribus, add that path with an *no* documents open. This will
enable the tab.

Done.

See: http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=setup&page=fonts1

Alternative:

Open KDE Control Center > System Administration > Fonts

Kfontinstaller has become a very slick and easy to use font installation
program , especially since KDE 3.2  Depending on distro, it will
automagically add those fonts to Ghostscript's fontmap files, as well. You
can add system wide fonts, or personal fonts for your own login.

I recommend this highly and find it is easier to use than even commercial type
managers. You can add directories and enable/disable on the fly with no need
to restart X.

No need for hari kari :)

Peter