[Scribus] Simple question on woody installation

Steve Jacobs steve
Mon Aug 9 03:11:47 CEST 2004

Haines Brown wrote:

>>Haines Brown wrote:
>>

>>>I'd like to install scribus 1.1.7 on woody, and have followed the
>>>directions concerning sources.list and pinning that are found on the
>>>scribus web site. When I run apt-get install scribus, I (naturally)
>>>get a long list of unsatisfied dependencies. I have an elementary
>>>question on the interpretation of this list..
>>>
>>>For example,
>>>
>>> scribus: Depends: libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16) but 2.3.8-1 is to be
>>> installed
>>
>>Try "apt-get install libart-2.0/unstable libart-2.0-dev/unstable".
>

>>>What is meant by, "is to be installed"? Did it fail simply because it
>>>depended on another package that is not installed?
>>
>>I think "is to be installed" means something like "would be installed if
>>we kept on doing what we're not going to do." Very intuitive.
>

> Thanks, Steve, your advice much appreciated, but it carried this
> simpleton only so far ;-(.
>
> 1. So the libart-2.0.2 is all I need. But then what do the
> references mean to 2.3.16 and 2.3.8-1? If it wanted to install
> 2.0-2 to satisfy the dependency, why mention them?

Perhaps to help us avoid the perils of simplicity?

> 2. When I went to install libart-2.0/unstable, it turns out to have an
> unmet dependency:
>
>   libc6 >=2.3.2.ds1-4, but 2.2.5-11.5 is to be installed.

So the command becomes  "apt-get install libart-2.0/unstable
libart-2.0-dev/unstable libc6/unstable". It may take 6 or 8 false
starts, but sooner or later you'll create a command of "apt-get install
this/unstable that/unstable" which will actually run and then Scribus
will probably compile. If you haven't done "apt-get update" for a few
days, I'd suggest doing that before anything else.

I'm running a recent Debian/unstable distro and it has everything
Scribus needs, but I'd guess there will be a whole bunch of stuff to
upgrade before Scribus will compile on Woody.

  Oh, yes, and after you do all this the QT includes will not be where
Scribus expects them, so remember to use "./configure
--with-qt-includes=/usr/include/qt3".

Regards,

Steve

--