[Scribus] Simple question on woody installation

Haines Brown brownh
Mon Aug 9 00:00:18 CEST 2004

I'd like to install scribus 1.1.7 on woody, and have followed the
directions concerning sources.list and pinning that are found on the
scribus web site. When I run apt-get install scribus, I (naturally)
get a long list of unsatisfied dependencies. I have an elementary
question on the interpretation of this list..

For example,

 scribus: Depends: libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16) but 2.3.8-1 is to be
 installed

I first check to see what I have:

  $ ldconfig -p | grep libart
  libart_lgpl.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/lilb/libart_lgpl.so.2

So, I don't have libart and need to install it. In the statement
above, I gather it says that scribus 1.1.7 needs at least version
2.3.16, and the highest version available for installation is 2.3.8-1.

What is meant by, "is to be installed"? Did it fail simply because it
depended on another package that is not installed?

I run

  $ apt-show-versions -a -p libart
  Not installed
  No stable version
  No testing version
  No unstable version

And infer there's no .deb packages available to me, so I must compile
2.3.8-1 from source. What is the best way of locating that source?

I come across this information merely by accident:

  Version: 2.3.16-0+woody1

Why didn't apt-show-version report it?

This line:

  Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.2.1) but it is not going to be
  installed

I don't understand why the first example says it is to be installed,
but the second says it is not going to be installed.

Haines Brown