[Scribus] Result of the poll

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Apr 6 10:07:40 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 04:05, linuxlingam wrote:

> > > Please don't Tom, as the splash window is fine as it is.  It
> > > says exactly what it should say, Desktop Publishing for Linux.
> > > That was what the developer's intended, that was what it was
> > > created on, that is what it runs best on and Linux should get
> > > part of the credit for Scribus becoming a reality!
>

> i see some questions on the mailing list from mac users. i expect
> several windoze users coming online when i start formally mentioning
> scribus in my projects and works with windoze users (about two weeks
> from now), as also elsewhere. a splashwindow that says 'desktop
> publishing for linux' on those platforms...?
>
> i dunno? what do you guys think?

It would make sense to have something more ambiguous in terms of OS
given it works on various versions of Unix (Linux, BSD, and Mac OSX via
Fink).

The other thing is though that there is not (yet) a native MacOSX
version or Windows version. You can go through the process of getting
cygwin and then KDE and then Scribus to work on Windows... but doing so
does require more knowledge than the average Windows user would seem to
have at this point in time. I don't think there will be anyone rushing
to want to change the slogan of the few that might take up Scribus via
cygwin.

As I said though, I think a new slogan wouldnt be a bad thing but theres
no need to rush this. Thomas did some good work in getting the survey
setup and we appreciate that. The fact that no single result stood out
from the rest in an overwhelming majority with a decent number of voters
probably just means there wasnt a good set of choices.

Craig