[Scribus] Speed and font issues

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Apr 5 17:35:46 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 12:44, John Pettigrew wrote:
> I'm looking at using Scribus 1.1.6 on my SuSE 8.2 system (nothing special
> added beyond the SuSE-provided updates) but am having a few problems.
>
> Basically, Scribus seems to run quite slowly when editing text. It's fairly
> easy to see simply entering text - the display lags behind the keyboard entry
> and the CPU usage increases, up to 100% if the lag gets serious (i.e. I enter
> lots of text by e.g. pasting lots). Does anyone know how to deal with this?
> (I'm the one who BandiPat was talking about a few days ago - we were
> discussing this on the SuSE list and he mentioned that he had raised it here.)

Check compiler settings, libart, qt, gcc, versions. What hardware?

> Also, there is an odd issue with font placing, best illustrated by a
> screenshot (http://www.xl-cambridge.com/egc/screenie-11:42.png). Essentially,
> the text seems to be placed further to the right than Scribus expects. The
> screenshot shows that the wrapping around an object is uneven (wider space on
> the right than the left) but it also shows in cursor placement (harder to get
> in a screenie!). That is, the cursor appears further to the left than it ought
> to - it grazes the right-hand side of characters but is far to the left  (e.g.
> it appears about halfway across a space between words when after the the space
> and flush against the previous word when before the space).

Please place a bug on bugs.scribus.net and upload the screenshot.

> Does anyone know how I might solve this problem?

Possibly have to wait. Will see what Franz says for it.

> Also, one question about how to use Scribus - how do I alter the wrap settings
> for an object (i.e. which sides of an object text flows round, and what offset
> is used)? I've looked in the docs and couldn't find it, and there are no
> obvious (to me) menu entries or dialogs.

No options as yet other than on or off. For offsets, at this point,
place a larger frame than the object and give the image an offset within
the frame, or place an empty, slightly larger frame underneath the one
with the object.

Craig