[Scribus] Page Templates

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Sep 18 04:28:11 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 22:56, Bill Carini wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:09:49PM -0400, Wesley T Allen wrote:
> >
> >        2. I've got a bunch of fonts that aren't showing up in Scribus, even
> > though other fonts in the same directory do show up.  Any way to force
> > scribus to use all my fonts?
>
> Find out how to make fonts.scale and fonts.dir files for your font directory,
> and how to generate .afm files for your fonts. If you are using Debian I can
> tell you how to do this. Some have suggested that installing your fonts with
> KFontinstaller is a convenient way to do these things.

Basically whenever fonts are added, you need to refresh the existing
fonts.scale and fonts.dir files. And then get xfs to reload.

I recommend Kfontinstaller if you have KDE. It has worked perfectly for
me on three different machines with RH 8/9. I had a couple of notes from
Craig Drummond on the settings:

1. The create .afm option for True Type fonts is mostly for Star Office
5.2. (That is why he started the whole project.

Kfontinstaller will not over write existing .afms if they are installed
unless you specify special encodings.

KDE 3.2 will have a new drag and drop system for font installation and
fonts are handled by kio slaves. Neat..

As of 1.1.0,  freetype2 is now a requirement and is used for lots more
of the font handling chores. This will be less of an issue as time goes
on.

Regards,
Peter