[Scribus] Page Templates

Jonathan Dietrich debianfreak
Wed Sep 17 13:54:36 CEST 2003

I'm replying about your question #2. I'm using Scribus 1.0.1 still, so I
don't know what has changed with fonts in Scribus 1.1, but maybe this
will help. I had some cool truetype fonts that I wanted to use in
Scribus, but they were not being recognized. The solution I found was to
convert them to postscript fonts. I used 3 commands for that: ttfpt1,
pfbtops, and type1inst. Here's what I did:

1. Download truetype fonts into a directory you created. Something in
/usr/share/fonts/ would be logical.

2. Create a script (in that same directory) with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash

for ttf_name in `ls *.ttf`; do
        ttf2pt1 -w -b $ttf_name
done

for pfb_name in `ls *.pfb`; do
        pfbtops $pfb_name
done

type1inst

#end of script

That converts all .ttf fonts to type1 fonts and installs them. Read the
man pages for those programs. You may want to create one font first by
hand and see how the programs work.

3. Open scribus, but don't open a document yet. Navigate to Edit -->
Preferences --> Fonts... --> Additional Paths tab. Add the path to the
directory where your converted fonts are. (My path is
/usr/share/fonts/type1/downloaded)

Now Scribus should recognize your fonts. I'm not claiming this is the
correct or best method, but it worked for me.

Have fun.
JpD