[Scribus] font paths

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun Oct 5 21:09:19 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 15:08, Bill Carini wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:46:54PM -0400, Peter Linnell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 12:16, Bill Carini wrote:
> > > I compiled Scribus 1.1.1 from the tarball. It is not finding my Truetype
> > > fonts in /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
> > > In the Edit-->Preferences-->Fonts dialog the Additional Fonts tab is
> > > grayed-out.
> > >
> > > Can someone give some more information about how 1.1.1 (and freetype2) go
> > > about locating fonts?
> >
> > Do you have a doc open? You cannot add or delete font paths with a doc
> > open.
>
> Yes. Sorry, I know this has come up before in the list.
>
> After adding my TrueType directory to "Additional Paths", my
> fonts still wouldn't show up.
>
> Copying my TrueType fonts to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/
> did work, however.
>
> None of my fonts (I have Postscript and TrueType) are previewing correctly in the
> Select Fonts dialog: they all look the same. (actually, I guess one of them *is*
> previewing correctly!)
>
> 1.1.0 would find all of my fonts and preview correctly.
>
> --Bill

Because of the changes in the font discovery mechanism, the previews are
no longer available - it was done through Qt, which is no longer used
for font listing.

However, there is a benefit:

Selecting fonts is *much* faster, especially with lots of fonts.

There will be far fewer problems with Scribus finding fonts, as
fonts.dir and fonts.scale are no longer needed. With 100+ fonts it
really makes a difference in the speed of the drop down list.

IMO this is overall a needed improvement. Moreover, both major desktops,
Gnome (has via fontilus) and KDE (will in 3.2 via Kfontinstaller) have
font previewers built-in.

Just my opinion, but I am happy with the changes.

Regards,
Peter