[Scribus] Windows version

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Nov 5 03:27:17 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 15:53, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > is there a windows version available? i had heard a rumor
>
> > So, as far as I know it is not possible to run Scribus nativ under
> > Windows. But with the Cygwin-Environment as a Work-around you can use
> > Scribus also under Windows :-)
>
> I've been asked (very nicely) by my employers to try and get a native
> Windows version running under W2K and XP. To that end, they've bought me
> some toys to play with.
>
> Unfortunately, as they're paying me to do this, it is probable that a
> binary only version will be available (but all source changes will need
> to be fed back into the project as per the terms of the GPL). No idea of
> a timescale. I have a feeling that they want to make some money out of
> it (which may mean that I will get annoyed and refuse to do it unless a
> good chunk is fed back to the developer team)
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Actually with the recent performance improvements Paul has added, plus
the conversion of Cygwin to GCC 3.x, would give Scribus a serious speed
boost, compared to its current state. With decent hardware, it could run
nicely - not as fast as native, but certainly usable. Scribus 0.8 on
Cygwin is not as slow as you might think. The slowdown for KDE-Cygwin is
i/o pure and simple.

The only problem holding me back from investing more time on this is
KDE-Cygwin is in a bit flux at the moment, working only with GCC 2.95
currently. They are working on getting Qt-free working better with GCC
3.x. Their most recent success was porting Kdevelop and Quanta to
KDE-Cygwin. Quanta on Windows would be wonderful.

Once they have KDE-Cygwin migrated to GCC 3.x, I'll put some more time
into making this work.

Regards,
Peter