[Scribus] Bug, omission or feature? (Three examples.)

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat May 31 07:45:36 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 15:08, John Culleton wrote:
> I use scribus .8.
>
> 1. Supposedly Scribus uses the hyphenation routines of TeX. However when
> I typed text that clearly needed to be hyphenated it just went to
> the next line.
>
> 2. When I attempted to insert text larger than the text box from an
> external file the Scribus program simply crashed.

That is highly unusual. Which version of Qt? Which distro are you
running? Compiled or package ?

Of all the versions, I tested 0.8 the most thoroughly. I imported a 40
page text in one shot without problems. I hammered 0.8 with every test
which I could devise to make it fail.. Huge TIFF and EPS imports,
created 400 page docs - everything to wring it out thoroughly. The
largest PDF I created was around 48-50 Mb.

> 3. According to the Quark tutorial you can set that program so that
> each new page has a text box inserted automatically. Is this possible
> in Scribus?

Yes, if while you are creating a new doc, you check automatic text
frames, subsequent pages added will automatically create new text
frames.

I would really encourage you to try the newest version 0.9.10. It has
many refinements and if you have the devel files from freetype2, text
display is *much* better.

Having worked with Scribus for almost 2 years now, I can honestly say
for the most part each version gets better and usually more stable. Even
within the "devel" versions of Scribus, there have been few regressions.

Thus, many members of the list are using the latest CVS despite the
bleeding edge problems that implies.

Regards,
Peter