[Scribus] Bug, omission or feature? (Three examples.)

John Culleton john
Sat May 31 13:58:49 CEST 2003

On Saturday 31 May 2003 01:45 am, Peter Linnell wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 15:08, John Culleton wrote:
> > I use scribus .8.
> >
> > 1. Supposedly Scribus uses the hyphenation routines of TeX. However when
> > I typed text that clearly needed to be hyphenated it just went to
> > the next line.
> >
> > 2. When I attempted to insert text larger than the text box from an
> > external file the Scribus program simply crashed.
>
> That is highly unusual. Which version of Qt? Which distro are you
> running? Compiled or package ?

I tried it again ind it didn't crash. The file I was importing was
nothing but ASCII text but it had a .tex suffix. When I changed the
suffix I didn't have any more problems.

> Of all the versions, I tested 0.8 the most thoroughly. I imported a 40
> page text in one shot without problems. I hammered 0.8 with every test
> which I could devise to make it fail.. Huge TIFF and EPS imports,
> created 400 page docs - everything to wring it out thoroughly. The
> largest PDF I created was around 48-50 Mb.

Very good. However in version 0.8 the hyphenation is not built in but
requires a plugin. So I tried to install 0.9.10 as you suggest. The
error I got was doccumented in an earlier post.

Unlike most programs Scribus users seem happy using development
versions. So I have no problem with that, assuming I can get the thing
to compile on my system.

Here is the error string once again:
-------------------------------------
/qt-3.0.3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../../../scribus -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
-D_REENTRANT -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -c charselect.cpp
-Wp,-MD,.deps/charselect.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/charselect.o
charselect.cpp: In method `ZAuswahl::ZAuswahl(QWidget *, preV *, PageItem *,
ScribusApp *)':
charselect.cpp:71: implicit declaration of function `int
FT_Get_First_Char(...)'
charselect.cpp:76: implicit declaration of function `int
FT_Get_Next_Char(...)'
make[4]: *** [charselect.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/scribus-0.9.10/scribus/plugins/libchar'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/scribus-0.9.10/scribus/plugins'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/scribus-0.9.10/scribus'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/scribus-0.9.10'
make: *** [all] Error 2

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers