[Scribus] Printing to 'bad printer name'

Nick Holden nick
Sun Mar 30 22:36:22 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 20:43, Paul wrote:

> > The printer's name is "Brother" - I know it's not very original, but it
> > functions. The problem seems to be that Scribus doesn't expect the colon
> > after the name in the printcap file, so the available printer in Scribus
> > is "Brother:" - and this is what generates the error. If I use the
> > 'other print command' and do 'lpr -PBrother' then I get output fine.
>
> I've noticed this when using Cups, but then I expect that I need other
> print command as I'm directing through kprinter --stdin.
>
> To make this simpler to trace, open a terminal window and launch scribus
> from there. Load a doc, press print and then attempt to print. Report
> back here with what the terminal window reports. It will help one of us
> to track the bug and fix it.

Sorry, Paul, I thought I'd made clear that that is exactly what I did. The error 'bad printer name' comes back from the running print server and is echoed to the terminal.

The full output is:

Satatus Information:
 sending job 'nick at adamselene+405' to Brother:@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer Brother:@localhost
 job 'nick at adamselene+405' transfer to Brother:@localhost failed
  error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
  sending str '^Brother:' to Brother:@localhost
 error msg: 'bad printer name'

Hope that helps.

Nick